Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Emily LaVon Izatt

On the same day my little boy turned 3, we welcomed Emily LaVon Izatt! I started having contractions at 2 o'clock am on Monday morning. I thought at first it was false labor because the first couple contractions weren't painful. However, soon my contractions were painful and coming quickly. As soon as my mom and sister were able to get to our house to watch Lucas, Kevin and I headed up to the hospital. We got checked in and when the nurse checked me I was dilated to a 6+ and within five to ten minutes I was completely dilated to a 10. I did not have an epidural, and the anesthesiologist would never had made it in time if I had wanted one. As it was Dr. Kirkman, the OB on call, barely had time to get to the hospital to break my water and deliver Emily.


I was group B strep positive, but because my labor went so fast I wasn't able to receive antibiotics, I didn't even have an IV. They did try to do an IV and the end result is this:

. Emily was born at 4:16 am and weighs 5 lbs 4 oz and is 19 inches long. Although Emily is considered full term, being born at 38 weeks, she is very small due to a problem with her umbilical cord. Apparently the umbilical cord wasn't connected to the placenta the way it should be. Instead of all the blood vessels connecting in one spot on the placenta, the blood vessels had fanned out and were connected to several different areas which made them more fragile and easier to kink depending on my position and the baby's position through out my pregnancy. Even though she is a peanut, she is healthy and so far there are no complications from my being GBS+. We were released to come home earlier tonight and Lucas was able to meet his little sister!

4 comments:

Laura said...

Holy cow that's fast. Good thing you made it to the hospital on time! I'm glad she's healthy despite the placenta issues. Blessings!

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

Wow that is crazy fast! Wow. That's all I can say. I'm glad she made it here safely though. She is absolutely beautiful! Congrats.

Tannie Datwyler said...

That's AMAZING Megan!! And I thought mine was fast. Way to go - it's crazy going without an epidural huh? I wish I'd just done it without completely instead of being numb AFTER the baby was born. What a cute girl - and that's wonderful she's healthy despite the placenta issue.

Tori said...

Congrats, she's a doll! Let me know if you are ok with visitors and I want to come see you guys! Let me know if I can do anything for ya!